How to Choose a Sportsbook for Betting on the NBA
Before you start betting on the NBA, you’ll need to choose the right sportsbook for you. With more states now legalizing sports betting, there’s a growing number of sites to choose from, all of which let you place bets on NBA games. Your choice of sportsbooks will depend on the state you live in, but you should always consider the following points when deciding which site to join:
License and Security
It’s important to always choose a sportsbook that’s licensed in your state, as this means it's legal to use. In addition, you can check whether the site uses encryption to keep your data secure.
The best sportsbooks treat their users fairly and have an excellent reputation. You can learn more about a site’s reputation by reading our reviews.
Ease of Use
Placing bets on the NBA should always be easy. Make sure that creating an account and finding the markets you want is as simple as possible before joining.
Bonuses are a fun way to get more out of your bets and help you get more out of your bets. Make sure any sportsbook you join has fun bonuses that are easy to claim.
You can make more profit if you have better odds. Use our reviews to see which sportsbooks offer the best odds on the NBA.
NBA games should have lots of different betting options at the best sportsbooks, including live betting markets.
Deposits and withdrawals should be as simple as possible. Before signing up, make sure that your preferred payment method is accepted and that there are no fees, limits, or long processing times.
All top sportsbooks are compatible with mobile devices, and most also offer apps for you to download onto your device. The app should be simple to use and make betting more convenient.
Great sportsbooks also provide helpful customer support in case you ever need assistance.
Our NBA Sportsbook Reviews
If you want the easiest way to find excellent sportsbooks that offer the best bonuses and odds, look no further. Our reviews compare data from all licensed sportsbooks to bring you the best of the best. Our review team signs up to each site and tests them out personally to give you all the research you need to make a decision on which to join. In each review, you can learn more about what the site has to offer as well as its pros and cons, helping you pick the right sportsbook for you.
NBA Sports Betting Bonuses
All of our recommended sportsbooks offer cash bonuses that you can claim and use to bet on the NBA. These promotions are to encourage people to sign up and start betting, and they’re usually very easy to claim while helping you find more value in your bets and minimize the risk. Sign up bonuses are the most common promotions available, but most sportsbooks offer regular bonuses too. Here are some of the most common types of bonuses which you can use on the NBA:
- Risk-free bets – This takes the risk out of your first bet, giving you your stake back as a free bet if it loses. For example, if you claim a $100 free bet you’ll have your $100 bet refunded if it loses. If it wins, you’ll get to keep the winnings as normal.
- Free bets – Also known as bet credits, these bonuses can be used in place of your cash when you place a bet. Simply choose the free bet in your betslip when placing a bet to use it. If your bet wins, you keep the winnings but lose the free bet. If your bet loses, you only lose the free bet instead of your real money.
- Matched deposit bonuses – Matched deposit bonuses increase your bankroll and give you more funds to bet with. For example, a 100% bonus worth up to $500 will double your available funds. You can claim the full $500 bonus by depositing $500, giving you $1000 in your account.
- No deposit bonuses – These cash bonuses are incredibly easy to claim, as you only need to create an account. As soon as you’ve finished setting up your account, the bonus will be ready for you to use. There’s no need to make a deposit, and you can start betting straight away.
- Odds boosts – These boosts increase your potential profits by improving the odds of any betting market you choose. You can apply them in your betslip to increase the odds and find more value on the NBA.
How to Claim Your NBA Bonus
Claiming your bonus is simple. All sportsbooks give you instructions on how to claim and use each promotion, and you should read these carefully. It’s also important to read through the terms and conditions. Here’s a quick guide to claiming a typical NBA betting bonus:
- Sign up as a new user
- Use a promo code
- Make a qualifying deposit
- Place a qualifying bet
- Claim your bonus offer
Always check the terms and conditions before you claim, as these will help you understand how to get the most out of each offer. Here are some common terms you’ll come across:
|Terms and Conditions||Example||Explanation|
|Rollover||10x rollover on your matched deposit bonus.||Wager your bonus ten times before you can withdraw the funds and any winnings.|
|Promo code||BONUS10||Use this code when making your deposit to claim the bonus|
|Minimum deposit||Deposit at least $20 to claim your deposit offer.||Only deposits of $20 or more will unlock this bonus.|
|Minimum bet||Make a bet of at least $20 to claim the free bets.||Your first bet needs to be $20 or more to unlock the offer.|
|Minimum odds||Bet at -200 or higher to claim your bonus.||Your first bet needs to be at odds of -200 or more to unlock the bonus.|
How NBA Betting Works
The NBA season runs between October and April each year and features a total number of 1230 games, not including the playoffs and finals. That’s a lot of games to bet on, and you’ll find odds for all of them at the best NBA sportsbooks. Not only that, but most sites will let you bet on the outcome of the season, including which team will win the Championship.
Betting on the NBA works just as it does with any other sport. You choose a game, select the market you want to bet on, and enter your stake. If the outcome you predicted happens in the game, you’ll win profit based on your stake and the odds at which you took the bet.
NBA Betting Odds
Understanding how odds work is one of the most important things to grasp as a new bettor. The odds show you the relative probability of something happening according to the books. Not only that, but you can use the odds to work out how much profit you could win if your bet is successful.
Whenever you see odds, they’re expressed with either a “-” or a “+” sign. This will show you which outcome is more likely and will also affect how you calculate your potential profits. The “-” sign is used to show a favorite, an outcome that has a higher chance of happening, while the “+” sign is used for underdogs or less likely possibilities.
- For example, let’s say you’re looking at the odds for a game between the Chicago Bulls and the Houston Rockets. The Bulls are -285 favorites, while the Rockets are underdogs with odds of +240.
If you want to bet on the Chicago Bulls to win, you’d need to bet $285 in order to win $100 in this example.
However, you could potentially win $240 if you bet $100 on the Houston Rockets in this example.
Always remember when looking at the odds:
- When you see the “-” sign, you need to stake the following number to win $100
- When you see the “+” sign, the following number is how much you can win from betting $100.
NBA Betting Markets
Every NBA game has lots of different markets to bet on. This can be confusing if you’ve never bet before, but here’s a quick explanation of some of the most common ways to bet:
|Moneyline||Phoenix Suns -150 Sacramento Kings +130||A choice of which team will win at the end of the game and after any overtime is played.|
|Point Spread||Denver Nuggets -110 -12.5 San Antonio Spurs -110 +12.5||The favorite is given a points handicap, and the underdog is given a points advantage of the same value. The favorite needs to win by more than the handicap, and the underdog needs to avoid losing by that amount.|
|Points Total||O 226 -110 U 226 -110||A bet on how many points you think will be scored in the game. You choose over or under a certain number. Most books also offer alternative lines.|
|Quarter/Half||Miami Heat to win the first quarter against the Cleveland Cavaliers -115||A bet on the outcome of a particular quarter or half. The outcome is decided by how many points are scored during that part of the game.|
|Futures||NBA Championship-winning team||Future bets are predictions of what will happen at the end of the season.|
|Game Props||Game to go to overtime Yes +1200 No -2000||A bet on certain outcomes happening during the game that are unrelated to which team wins.|
|Player Props||Anthony Davis O 28.5 points -110||Bets on specific outcomes relating to particular players that are unrelated to the result.|
|Parlays||The Atlanta Hawks, LA Clippers, and Utah Jazz all to win on Saturday||Parlays are where you combine multiple bets into one, increasing the odds. Each of the bets within your parlay needs to land for it to win.|
Placing Your First NBA Bets
Now you understand how betting works, you’re ready to sign up and get started. Simply follow this guide to place your first NBA bets:
- Choose one of the top-rated NBA sportsbooks on this page
- Sign up by filling in your personal information and verifying your ID
- Make a deposit and be sure to claim the bonus by following the instructions
- Search for the NBA or find the upcoming games on the homepage
- Select a market and view the odds before adding it to your betslip
- Enter your stake or use your bonus and confirm your bet
- Watch the game live to see if your bet is a winner!
Live NBA Betting
While most people prefer to bet before the game starts, you can now bet during the game, thanks to live betting. All major sportsbooks let you bet on major NBA games live, with the latest stats and updating odds available too. While there are usually fewer live markets to choose from, all the most popular options are available. Some sportsbooks also offer live streams of the game, so you can watch while you place your bets.
Most live sportsbooks offer the following features:
- Live stats
- Live streaming
- Instant odds changes
- Cashout on live bets
Because you can see what’s going on as you place your bets, you have an advantage over pre-game betting. You can use the latest statistics and your own personal insights on the game to make more informed betting decisions. It’s also a great time to find value on NBA games, as the odds will change a lot throughout the game as points are scored.
Betting on the NBA from Your Mobile
As long as you’re in a state with legal betting, you can place bets on the NBA anywhere you like. Mobile sports betting is here, allowing you to bet from your mobile or tablet and never miss out on an opportunity to find value. The top sportsbooks also offer mobile apps for you to download, allowing you to easily place bets faster than ever.
|Advantages of Mobile Sportsbook App||Disadvantages of Mobile Sportsbook App|
|Place bets instantly||Need space on your device to download|
|Access a full range of markets and bonuses|
|Bet from anywhere|
NBA Betting Strategies
If you want to make informed bets and win consistently, you should follow a strategy when placing your bets. Research is the key to a successful strategy, but here are some key pointers to help you find the best value and hopefully improve your chances of success.
- Manage your bankroll – Your bankroll is the amount of funds you have available to bet with, and you’ll need to manage it if you want to be successful. Your standard bet should be a percentage of your total bankroll, and you should avoid betting more than you can afford to lose. Set a reasonable budget and track each bet you make.
- Pay attention to schedules – You should be using all available data when looking for betting opportunities. Schedules shouldn’t be overlooked in your research, as teams will practice load management to avoid injuries and keep star players fit and healthy. Check to see which teams are coming off overtime games, have played on back-to-back nights, or have traveled long distances.
- Fade the public – Research shows that betting against the public can be a great way to find value in the odds. When a lot of people bet on the favorite, the betting line will increase, offering an opportunity to make a profit if you bet on the underdog. Of course, you should still use research to make your bet, and don’t simply bet against the favorite for the sake of it.
Promotional Codes by NBA Team
NBA Betting FAQ
Is it legal to bet on the NBA?
Betting on sports is now legal in a growing number of states across the country. This means you can legally bet on the NBA, depending on which state you’re in. Always check your local laws before you bet, and be sure to only sign up to licensed sportsbooks.
Can I claim bonuses when betting on the NBA?
Yes, all major sportsbooks offer cash bonuses and promos which you can use when betting on basketball. You can find the best promos right here, with matched deposit offers, bet credits, risk-free bets, and more. Always read through the terms of a bonus before you try to claim it.
What’s the best strategy for betting on basketball?
The best strategy for betting on basketball is to find value in the odds, using research and data to spot betting opportunities. Different bettors use different strategies, but you should always make sure you’re managing your bankroll and gambling responsibly.
Which markets should I choose when betting on the NBA?
There are lots of markets available on the NBA, as it’s one of the world’s most popular sports leagues. Most bettors bet on the spread or the total points scored, but lots of fans enjoy placing parlays and same-game parlays too. Choose the market that you like the best, and always back up your bets with research.