Is Sports Betting Legal in New Jersey?
Sports betting has been legal in New Jersey since 2018, with the state being one of the first to allow both online and in-person betting. For many years, betting in the US was restricted thanks to the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA) of 1991. The law was passed to protect the integrity of sports, with experts believing that sports betting could lead to fixed games.
In 2009, New Jersey put in a formal legal challenge against PASAP, outlining that the law was unconstitutional as it gave some states, such as Nevada, more freedom than others. While this challenge was initially unsuccessful, it paved the way for further efforts, and the Supreme Court eventually ruled in favor of giving states the right to decide on the legality of sports betting.
On June 11, 2018, Governor Phil Murphy signed Assembly Bill 4111, making sports betting legal at licensed retail and online sportsbooks in the state of New Jersey. Those who want to bet legally must be at least 21 years old and use a site that’s licensed by the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement.
Timeline of NJ Sports Betting
- 2009 – New Jersey Senator Raymond Lesniak puts in a formal legal challenge in the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey. The challenge is later dismissed, with the Court arguing that the challenge can only be brought by the state governor.
- 2010 – A public referendum on sports betting shows overwhelming support for legalizing it, paving the way for further legal challenges against the ban on sports betting.
- 2012 – New Jersey passes a law to allow bets to be placed in person at licensed sportsbooks, but it’s challenged by multiple sports organizations, which claim that it violates PASPA. The United States District Court rules against the state of New Jersey.
- 2013 – The state appealed the Court’s decision, but the Appeals Court also ruled that the new law violated PASPA. However, it also ruled that PASPA didn’t prevent New Jersey from repealing aNJ existing state laws it had in relation to sports betting.
- 2014 – Governor Chris Christie repealed a former law that had banned sports betting. Once again, the four major US sports leagues and the NCAA filed a suit against New Jersey, arguing that this violated PASPA. The District Court agreed, and so New Jersey appealed to the Supreme Court.
- June 2017 – The United States Supreme Court accepted the case against PASPA on behalf of New Jersey.
- May 2018 – After hearing multiple arguments for and against PASPA, the Supreme Court ruled that parts of the 1991 act were unconstitutional in a 7-2 decision. In a 6-3 decision, the Court also ruled that the entirety of PASPA is unconstitutional, allowing it to be ignored by states.
- June 11, 2018 – Governor Phil Murphy signs Assembly Bill 4111, which legalizes retail sports betting at licensed locations while also paving the way for legal online betting.
- August 6, 2018 – DraftKings becomes the first online sportsbook to launch in New Jersey after partnering with Resorts Atlantic City and obtaining its license from the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement.
New Jersey Sports Betting at a Glance
|New Jersey retail sports betting legal status||Legal and live|
|New Jersey online sports betting legal status||Legal and live|
|New Jersey online sports betting launch date||August 6, 2018|
|New Jersey sports betting regulator||New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement|
|Number of sportsbook licenses available||Up to 27|
|Total bets placed in first month||$16 million|
|Sportsbook tax rate||14.25%|
Top NJ Sportsbooks
In New Jersey, each sportsbook needs to be partnered with one of the state’s land-based casinos in order to obtain a license from the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement (NJDGE). The NJDGE has approved up to three skins for each of the nine land-based casinos to allow up to twenty-seven online sportsbooks to operate in the state, giving bettors plenty of options to choose from.
Here are some of the best options available to NJ bettors:
- PointsBet NJ Sportsbook – Best betting markets
- DraftKings Sportsbook – Best new bettor experience
- Caesars Sportsbook – Best welcome bonus
- FanDuel Sportsbook – Best mobile app
- Bet365 Sportsbook – Best live betting
- BetMGM Sportsbook – Best live streams
- BetRivers Sportsbook – Best loyalty rewards
- Unibet Sportsbook – Best odds boosts
- WynnBet Sportsbook – Best customer support
Choosing a Sportsbook in New Jersey
With so many options available, it’s important to make sure you choose the right site for you. While a lot of sportsbooks share similar features, there are enough differences between them that make it worth looking into what they offer before you join. Here are some of the most important factors to consider when choosing a New Jersey sportsbook:
We review every single NJ sportsbook to help give you the best chance of finding a site you’ll love. When we review a site, we sign up and test out all of its features, using the latest data to compare what it offers to other available sportsbooks. Our reviews clearly lay out all the research to give you the details on what to expect when you join, including the lines, security, payments, bonuses, and more.
Bonuses and promotions help to make betting more enjoyable, giving you extra value on your bets and providing an incentive to sign up and start betting. All of the sportsbooks in NJ feature bonus offers to make betting more fun, and it’s a good idea to check out the available promotions before you sign up. Some of the most popular Garden State betting bonuses include:
- Risk-free bets
- Matched deposit bonuses
- Bet credits
- No deposit bonuses
- Loyalty reward points
Odds and Lines
Getting the best odds and lines means more potential winnings, so it’s always a good idea to use a sportsbook that offers the best odds on the games you like to bet on. You can quickly compare odds at top sportsbooks or use our research and data to consistently find the best odds.
Sports and Markets
All good sportsbooks feature lots of different sports and markets that you can bet on. Ideally, you should always have lots of variety, even if you prefer to bet on a specific sport or competition. More variety means more opportunities to find value and hopefully make a profit. NJ sportsbooks feature loads of sports and events, including but not limited to:
- College Sports
- Premier League Soccer
- Champions League Soccer
On top of sports, variety in markets is important in a good sportsbook too. In general, you’ll find more markets available on bigger events, but all good betting sites should give you a wide range of markets to bet on for all major sports. Here are some of the most popular betting markets at NJ sportsbooks according to our research:
- Point spread
- Point total
- Player props
- Game props
- Same game parlays
Ideally, signing up and placing bets should be as simple as possible. The best sportsbooks make it easy for you to create your account and have very few hoops for you to jump through. In addition, NJ betting sites should always be simple to use, with an intuitive and well-designed interface, no matter what device you’re accessing them from.
Before you can bet with real money, you’ll have to add funds to your account. The NJ sportsbooks we’ve tested and reviewed offer several different payment options which you can use to make deposits and withdrawals without any hassle. Most importantly of all, these payments are safe and secure.
Not only should your sportsbook be easy to use, but it’s also important that it offers good customer support. If you ever have an issue while betting, either with your account or anything else, it should be easy to get in touch with the support team. The best sites offer several ways to contact them, including the following:
- FAQ pages
- Live chat
- Social media pages
How to Sign Up to a New Jersey Sportsbook
After you choose one of our recommended sportsbooks, you’ll need to create your account before you can start betting. Thankfully, the process of signing up in New Jersey is very straightforward, you simply need to follow these steps:
- Download the app or visit the site in your browser and choose the sign up option
- Make sure you’re currently in New Jersey, otherwise you won’t be able to bet
- Complete the sign up process by entering your full details, including name, address, and contact information
- Agree to the sportsbook’s terms and conditions and verify your account by uploading your ID and confirming your location
- Choose your preferred payment method from the options provided and then make a deposit
- Claim your NJ betting promo and then start betting
NJ Sportsbooks Deposits Explained
Some NJ sportsbooks offer no deposit bonuses, but in most cases, you’ll need to add funds to your account before you can start betting. Making deposits is simple, though the exact process can differ depending on the site you use and your chosen payment method. Here are some of the most popular payment methods available at NJ sportsbooks:
- Online banking
- Debit/credit cards
- Wire transfer
How to Claim New Jersey Sportsbook Promos
There are some great bonuses available at NJ sportsbooks, and we recommend claiming as many as you can. Before claiming, you should read through all of the terms and conditions carefully, as these will have a big impact on how you can use the promo. Common bonus terms include:
|Terms and Conditions||Example||Explanation|
|Wagering requirement/rollover||25x||Complete the wagering to withdraw your bonus|
|Promo code||BONUS10||Enter the promo code when making a deposit to claim your bonus|
|Minimum deposit||$20||Deposit at least this amount to claim the bonus|
|Minimum bet||$10||Make a bet of at least this amount to claim the bonus|
|Minimum odds||-200||Make a bet at these odds or greater to claim the bonus|
New Jersey Sportsbook Payouts Guide
If you have available funds in your betting account, you’ll be able to withdraw using an available payment method and then spend your winnings however you like. The payout process is similar to making deposits, although it can take a bit longer to receive your money in your account once you request the withdrawal.
Here’s a quick guide to making your first withdrawal at a New Jersey sportsbook:
- Choose the withdraw option from the cashier
- Select your preferred payment method
- In most cases, you can only withdraw using the same method you used to deposit
- Enter the amount you’d like to withdraw, ensuring it’s above the minimum amount
- Confirm the withdrawal and wait for your cash to arrive
The time it takes for your funds to arrive will depend on the payment method you choose. This is worth bearing in mind when making your initial deposit. Here are some common payout times for popular NJ sportsbook payment methods:
|Payment Method||Withdrawal Time|
|Debit card||1-5 days|
|PayPal||30 minutes to 1 day|
|Bank transfer||1-7 days|
Mobile Betting New Jersey
You can access NJ sportsbooks on any device, with all betting sites that we’ve tested working perfectly on mobile devices. If you prefer having the freedom to bet wherever you like, you’ll get a lot out of using your smartphone or tablet to sign up and place bets. As long as you’re within the state of New Jersey, you’ll always be able to check out the latest odds on all events. A lot of sportsbooks even offer an app that you can download to your device, making betting even more convenient.
Popular New Jersey Sports to Bet On
Sports are huge in New Jersey, with the vast majority of residents supporting at least one major team. While New Jersey itself isn’t home to many sporting franchises, a lot of fans support teams in neighboring NY. When you sign up to a sportsbook, you’ll be able to bet on lots of different teams, including the following:
The NFL is the most popular sport in New Jersey and one of the most popular sports to bet on. While there isn't an official NFL franchise in NJ, there are two teams that both play out of the MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey. Most football fans in the Garden State support either the New York Jets or the New York Giants.
The NBA is just as big as the NFL for many sports fans in New Jersey, and it’s very popular among bettors. Aside from the regular season, the playoffs draw a lot of bets, and most NJ fans enjoy watching either the New York Knicks or the Brooklyn Nets. Unfortunately for fans, neither team has won the Championship since the 70s.
The MLB is the oldest and most important sports league in the country. Most baseball fans in the state follow a NY-based team such as the New York Yankees or the New York Mets. The Yankees are one of the most successful teams in the history of the MLB, while the Mets haven't won the World Series since 1986.
The NHL is fast-growing as one of the most popular sports to follow, with a highly exciting league format. It’s also popular with bettors, as the low-scoring games can be unpredictable, which leads to better odds. Most NJ residents enjoy watching the state’s only local team, the New Jersey Devils, which most recently lifted the Stanley Cup in 2003.
The MLS and soccer as a sport have exploded in popularity over the past decade. Although most soccer fans enjoy watching international leagues, teams such as the New York Red Bulls have gained increasing support in NJ, where their stadium is based.
New Jersey does currently allow betting on college sports, though there are a lot of restrictions in place. For example, you can’t bet on any game involving a college team based in New Jersey. Not only that but betting on any college game taking place in the Garden State is prohibited.
Why Sign Up to Multiple NJ Sportsbooks
With up to twenty-seven sportsbooks available, New Jersey bettors have plenty of options. Although most bettors sign up to a single site, there’s nothing stopping you from using multiple sportsbooks. Provided they’re legal and available in the state, you can sign up to as many as you want. There are lots of reasons for doing this, including:
By signing up to multiple sportsbooks, you’ll be able to claim lots of different betting promos. Although you can only claim one welcome offer per site, you can still benefit from all the bonuses available at different sites. Some bettors sign up to as many sportsbooks as possible to ensure they can claim all of the best bonuses.
The Best Lines and Odds
Odds and lines can be very different depending on the site you’re using. Although the main sportsbooks tend to offer similar odds, you can still find small differences. By signing up to multiple books, you can ensure you always place your bets at the best odds possible, ensuring more profits for you.
Most top sportsbooks have lots of unique features to help them stand out from the competition. These features include special markets, live streams, betting apps, and more. By signing up to multiple sites, you can make the most of all the different features available.
NJ Betting FAQ
Is it legal to bet on sports in New Jersey?
New Jersey legalized sports betting back in 2018, allowing licensed sportsbooks to offer odds on all kinds of sporting events.
Is online betting legal in New Jersey?
Yes, New Jersey allows both retail and online betting. You can legally sign up to a licensed online sportsbook, make a deposit and start betting on a range of different sports.
What requirements are there to legally start betting in New Jersey?
New Jersey places an age requirement on sports betting, so you need to be at least 21 years old in order to bet real money in the Garden State. Aside from this, you’ll also need to be within the state borders when placing a bet online at an NJ sportsbook.
Do NJ bettors get access to sportsbook promos?
Yes, all major NJ sportsbooks offer betting promos for you to make the most of when you sign up. These include free bet credits, risk-free bets, matched deposit offers, and much more.