How to Choose a Sportsbook for Betting on the NFL
All sportsbooks allow you to bet on the NFL, and there are now plenty of different sites to choose from. The exact sportsbooks you have available will depend on the state you live in, but you’ll still be able to join the one you like best.
When it comes to choosing a sportsbook, there are some things you should pay close attention to if you want to have the best possible experience.
|License and Security||Any sportsbook you choose should be licensed in your state. Not only that, but the best betting sites use encryption to keep your data secure.|
|Reputation||Good sportsbooks treat their users fairly. You can learn more about a site’s reputation by checking our reviews.|
|Ease of Use||It should be easy to sign up and place bets, with menus that make it easy to find what you’re looking for.|
|Bonuses||Bonuses help you get more out of your bets. Make sure any sportsbook you join has fun bonuses that are easy to claim.|
|Odds||Better odds mean more potential profits. You can compare different sportsbooks or check out reviews to find the best NFL odds.|
|Betting Markets||Top sportsbooks give you lots of different markets to bet on NFL games, including live betting, where you place bets during the game.|
|Payments||It should always be easy to make deposits and withdrawals when betting online. Check which payment methods are accepted and that there are no fees, limits, or long waiting times.|
|Mobile Access||All good sportsbooks let you sign in and place bets from your smartphone or tablet. The app should be easy to use and responsive.|
|Customer Service||The best sportsbooks provide helpful customer support in case you ever need assistance.|
Our NFL Sportsbook Reviews
You can use our sportsbook reviews to get a clearer picture of what each site has to offer. We review all US sportsbooks, giving you all the details on licensed and legal betting sites. When reviewing a sportsbook, we sign up, make deposits and place bets, checking out all the features. You can use our reviews to find the right site for you.
NFL Sports Betting Bonuses
When you sign up to one of our recommended sportsbooks, you’ll be able to claim a cash bonus as a new user. These bonuses are special promotions that can be used to get more value out of your bets and have more fun. As well as welcome offers for new users, the best sites also provide regular betting bonuses. Here are some of the most common bonuses you’ll come across:
- Risk-free bets – No need to worry about your first bet. The risk-free bet will refund your stake if it loses up to a certain amount. For example, a $200 risk-free bet would give you your whole stake back if you place a $200 bet and it loses.
- Free bets – Free bets, also known as bet credits, are used in place of real cash when placing a bet. You choose your bet as normal and then select the free bet rather than entering your stake. You get to keep all winnings minus the free bet itself. If you lose, you only lose the free bet.
- Matched deposit bonuses – Want to increase your bankroll? A matched deposit bonus gives you more funds to bet with, matching your first deposit up to a certain amount. For example, a 100% bonus will double your available funds.
- No deposit bonuses – No deposit bonuses are the easiest offers to claim, as you simply need to sign up. As soon as you’ve finished setting up your account, the bonus will be ready for you to use. You won’t even have to make a deposit before you start placing bets.
- Odds boosts – Odds boosts help increase your potential profits, boosting the odds of any selection you choose. Higher odds mean more winnings and all you need to do is add it to your betslip before confirming.
NFL Betting Bonus Terms
Before you claim any of the cash bonus offers available, always make sure you read through the full terms and conditions carefully. This will ensure you’re able to claim your offer successfully and that you only claim the best offers that provide real value. Here are a few common terms you’ll come across:
|Terms and Conditions||Explanation||Example|
|Rollover||Wager your bonus a certain number of times before you can withdraw.||5x rollover on your matched deposit bonus.|
|Minimum deposit||Deposit a certain amount to unlock the bonus.||Deposit at least $20 to claim your deposit offer.|
|Minimum bet||Your bet needs to be above a certain amount to claim the promotion.||Make a bet of at least $20 to claim the free bets.|
|Minimum odds||Your bet should be at certain odds or higher to qualify.||Bet at -200 or higher to claim your bonus.|
How NFL Betting Works
Each NFL season lasts for 18 weeks, starting at the beginning of September and ending in early January. In total, there are 272 games, with each of the league´s 32 teams playing 17 games and having one bye week.
Throughout the season, you´ll be able to bet on games, and most sites also let you bet on the end-of-season outcomes. Once the regular season is over, the postseason begins with the playoffs and ends with the Super Bowl, which is played on the second Sunday of February.
Betting on the NFL works the same as any other sport. You choose your market, enter your stake and confirm your bet. If your bet is successful, you win cash based on the odds when you place the bet.
NFL Betting Odds
If you’re new to betting on sports, you’ll need to know how odds work before you start placing bets. Odds show you how much you can potentially win from a bet, and it will help you decide whether it’s worth it or not.
Odds are expressed with either a “-” sign or a “+” sign, which will depend on the likelihood of the outcome. The “-” sign is used to show a favorite, while the “+” sign is used for underdogs. The higher the number, the less likely the outcome but the more you could potentially win.
- When you see the “-” sign, you need to stake the following number to win $100
- When you see the “+” sign, the following number is how much you can win from betting $100.
As an example, let’s say you bet on the New England Patriots to beat the Las Vegas Raiders. The Patriots are -230 favorites, while the Raiders are the underdogs with odds to win of +190.
- When betting on the Patriots, a $230 bet is needed in order for you to win $100.
- On the other hand, a $100 bet on the Raiders would mean you win $190 if they win the game.
NFL Betting Markets
Each NFL game offers a wide range of markets for you to bet on. Sometimes known as bet types, these are all the kinds of bets you can place:
|Moneyline||A choice of which team will win at the end of the game and after any overtime is played.||Ravens -190 |
|Point Spread||An imaginary point spread is used to make it an even contest. The favorite is given a points handicap, and the underdog is given a points advantage of the same value. The favorite needs to win by more than the handicap, and the underdog needs to avoid losing by that amount.||Patriots +3.5 -110 |
Bengals -3.5 -110
|Points Total||A bet on how many points you think will be scored in the game. You choose over or under a certain number. Most books also offer alternative lines.||O 30 -110 |
U 30 -110
|Quarter/Half||A bet on the outcome of a particular quarter or half. The outcome is decided by how many points are scored during that part of the game.||Bengals to win the first quarter. +126|
|Futures||Future bets are predictions of what will happen at the end of the season.||LA Rams to win the Super Bowl. +900|
|Game Props||A bet on certain outcomes happening during the game that are unrelated to who wins.||5 touchdowns to be scored. +320|
|Player Props||Bets on specific outcomes relating to particular players that are unrelated to the result.||AJ Brown to make over 50 receiving yards. -110|
|Parlays||Parlays are where you combine multiple bets into one, increasing the odds. Each of the bets within your parlay needs to land for it to win.||Brown, Bears and Bengals to all win on Sunday. +500|
Placing Your First NFL Bets
Now you know how odds work and the different markets available, you’re ready to place your first bets. Here’s a quick guide on how to get started:
- Sign up to one of the top-rated NFL sportsbooks on this page
- Enter your full details and verify your ID
- Claim your bonus offer by following the instructions
- Search for the NFL on the menu and choose a game to bet on
- Look through the available markets
- Select a market to add it to your betslip
- Enter your stake or use your bonus and confirm the bet
- Watch the game live and wait to see if you’re a winner!
Live NFL Betting
Most people place their bets before the game gets underway. However, you can bet whenever you like as all of the top sportsbooks now offer live betting. Now, you can view live stats and the changing odds, placing your bets as you watch the game. Generally, there are fewer markets to bet on when a game is live, but you’ll still have a wide range of options to choose from.
Most live sportsbooks offer the following features:
- Live stats
- Live streaming
- Instant odds changes
- Cashout on live bets
Live betting offers a major advantage in that you can place your bets based on what you see during the game. In addition, the odds change a lot to reflect what happens on the field, which gives you an opportunity to find increased value. Even if you’re not watching the game, all sportsbooks with live betting also offer live stats, which are updated instantly to give you key insights into all of the action.
Betting on the NFL From Your Mobile
You can bet on the NFL from anywhere you like, provided you’re within the borders of a state with legal sports betting. All of our recommended sportsbooks are fully compatible with mobile devices. This means that you can use your smartphone or tablet to sign up, make deposits and place bets on the latest NFL games. You can even download a sportsbook app, making betting on the go even more convenient.
|Advantages of Mobile Sportsbook App||Disadvantages of Mobile Sportsbook App|
|Place bets instantly||Need space on your device to download|
|Access a full range of markets and bonuses|
|Bet from anywhere|
NFL Betting Strategies
Betting on the NFL can be unpredictable at times, but there’s an opportunity to make consistent profits if you follow the right strategy. Here are some of our recommended betting strategies for you to follow during the upcoming NFL season:
- Manage your bankroll – Your bankroll is the amount of money you have available to bet with. If you want it to last you and to make a profit, you need to manage it properly. Your bankroll should only ever be money that you’re comfortable losing, and your bets should be around 2-5% of the total.
- Find the best odds and lines – Better odds mean more potential profits, and improved lines mean you have a better chance of winning. Before placing a bet, make sure you check all of the top NFL betting sites to see where you can find the best odds. While small changes in odds and lines might not seem like a big deal, the increased profits add up over time.
- Choose your bets wisely – With 272 games each season plus the playoffs, there’s a temptation to bet on as many games as possible. However, you should always be choosing your bets wisely, only ever placing bets when you find value and are relatively confident about the outcome.
- Consider the location of each game – The location makes a big difference in the NFL. Home teams generally have an advantage, but even more so if the other team is traveling a long way to play. Some teams do play better when traveling than others, so be sure to always consult the stats before you bet.
- Watch how the lines move – As the public bets, lines will generally move in favor of the more popular teams. You can often make profits by betting against the public, waiting for the lines to move to your advantage. However, if you want to bet on a popular team, it’s best to take the bet early before the lines move.
Promo Codes by Team
NFL Betting FAQ
Can I bet on NFL games online legally?
Legal sports betting is now available in a growing number of states across the country. Before you sign up and start betting, check the laws that are relevant to your state. If your state allows online betting, then placing bets on all NFL games should be available.
Are there bonuses available when betting on the NFL?
All of the major sportsbooks offer cash bonuses and promotions, and you can use these to make the most of your NFL bets. Before you claim, always check the full terms and conditions.
What’s the best strategy for NFL betting?
You should always use data and research to support your bets. Some fans prefer to bet on their favorite team, but this usually results in betting on what you want to happen rather than what is likely to happen. Consult the stats and always compare odds and lines before you bet.
Which are the best markets to bet on when betting on the NFL?
NFL games usually have lots of different markets available to bet on. The point spread is probably the most popular, while total points and moneyline are also common options. More bettors are beginning to use parlays, especially some-game parlays, which are a new feature. The best market is the one that you can use to find value regularly. Try them out for yourself and see what works best for you.