Legal Status of Sports Betting in North Carolina
Until June 14, 2023, sports betting in North Carolina was limited to only three land-based casinos. Before you can place your Panthers bet, you will need to visit either Harrah’s Cherokee Casino Resort, Harrah’s Cherokee Valley River, or Catawba Two Kings Casino.
All of that will change come January 8, 2024, which is the proposed date for the launch of online sports betting. Governor Ray Cooper recently signed the sports betting bill into law after the Senate voted in favor of legalizing online betting and the House voted to concur.
If all goes according to plan and schedule, bettors in NC would be able to place their wagers from the comfort of their homes through mobile devices. With the bill authorizing up to 12 sportsbooks to provide online betting, bettors would have the option to choose from top brands likely to offer their services in the state.
Top Sportsbooks Expected to Launch Online Sports Betting in North Carolina
Although it remains unclear what sportsbooks would be launching with online sports betting in North Carolina, we can make educated guesses. There are 12 spots available, and it is almost evident what sportsbooks will get licenses to offer Panthers betting.
These sportsbooks will also offer cash bonuses and promotions to entice new bettors. While it is unclear what these bonuses and promo codes would be, they would center around deposit bonuses and risk-free bets.
There are big players in the sports betting industry expected to take advantage of the new market. Some of them include:
- DraftKings: DraftKings remains one of the top sportsbooks in the US, and they make it a point to be one of the first to launch in a new state. They are already providing daily fantasy sports in the state so making a transition would be a tad easier.
- FanDuel: Like their top competitor, FanDuel already has a presence in North Carolina, which goes a long way in showing their interest in the state. It is difficult to name a state with legal online sports betting where FanDuel is not present, and North Carolina might not be one either.
- Ceasars: Ceasars have already established themselves in the state, which is why them offering online betting upon launch makes the most sense. Two of the three in-person casinos are operated by Ceasars – Harrah's Cherokee Casino Resort and Harrah's Cherokee Valley River.
- BetMGM: BetMGM might have some loyalists, especially since some could already be using their platform in neighboring states. With a heavy presence in the region, offering their service in one more state is more than likely.
- PointsBet: PointsBet has continued to make strides in the online betting scene, and might continue to spread their reach. Being one of the firsts in a new region is always desired and with their reputation, getting a license might be easier.
It is worth noting that this is not 100% certified, as there are several conditions sportsbooks need to meet before they are allowed to operate in a state. That said, if there are sportsbooks that can meet these legislations, they are listed above.
Others that could also get their license to operate are:
Types of Bonuses
It goes without saying that each licensed sportsbook in North Carolina will go all out with the offers to entice new bettors. Nonetheless, it would all be within the guidelines as the gaming commission would undoubtedly create a level-playing field.
There are several types of promotions and cash bonuses sportsbooks can offer. Here are some of the popular bonus types you should expect to see when placing your Panthers bet.
|Welcome Bonus/Sign-Up Bonus||This would arguably be the most popular bonus type, especially since sportsbooks would be looking to get as many bettors to register as possible. These bonuses are offered to new customers when they sign up and often come in the form of a matched deposit bonus, where the sportsbook matches a percentage of the initial deposit.|
|No Deposit Bonus||Some sportsbooks provide a no deposit bonus, which grants free bets or bonus funds simply for creating an account, without requiring an initial deposit.|
|Risk-Free/Second Chance Bet||With a risk-free bet, the sportsbook refunds the stake of the first bet placed if it loses. This allows bettors to try their luck without the fear of losing their initial wager.|
|Enhanced Odds||Enhanced odds promotions offer higher odds on selected events or outcomes. These are often offered for high-profile matches or special events and can provide better potential returns for winning bets.|
|Profit Boost||Sportsbooks offer profit boosts to bettors to increase their winning. With this promo, you could win a lot more than you would even when the odds do not change.|
|Refer-a-Friend Bonus||Some sportsbooks offer refer-a-friend bonuses, where existing customers receive a bonus for referring new customers who sign up and meet certain criteria, such as making a deposit or placing a bet.|
You can choose the type of bonus you believe will give you the best value before placing your wager. Knowing your preferred bonus type could also guide your decision in choosing a sportsbook.
How to Bet on the Panthers
While we wait on the official launch of online betting in North Carolina, it does not hurt to start familiarizing yourself with how to place bets.
There are things you need to do before, during, and after you place your Panthers bet. Here is a step-by-step guide to help you on that journey.
- Select a sportsbook: It all starts with choosing the right sportsbook. Select one of the sportsbooks that will receive their license in the coming months. Also consider other factors like bonus, odds, and ease of use when making your decision.
- Sign up: Before you can place your Panthers bet, you need to first be a member. You can create an account with your preferred sportsbook. Note that you will be required to provide certain information upon signup.
- Fund your account: Make a deposit into your sportsbook account using the available payment options. Choose the deposit method that works best for you, whether it is a credit card, bank transfer, or an e-wallet.
- Find Panthers fixtures: Once your account is funded, navigate to the NFL or football section of the sportsbook's website or app. Look for the upcoming games or search for the Carolina Panthers specifically. It is advised that you only bet on the closest matchup as things could change the outcome of a fixture that is two weeks away.
- Make your pick: After extensive research and analysis, select the type of bet you want to place on the Panthers. The more popular options include moneyline, point spread, totals (over/under), and player and team prop bets.
- Review odds: Take a look at the available odds for the Panthers' game and explore the various betting options. Evaluate the odds to determine the potential payout for each bet type.
- Place your bet: Once you have chosen your desired bet, enter the stake amount you wish to wager. Review your bet slip to ensure accuracy and confirm your bet.
- Follow the game: Stay updated with the game and cheer for the Panthers. You can monitor the progress through live scoreboards or streaming services provided by the sportsbook. This is also a great option if things are not going your way. Several sportsbooks have the “cash out” option, with which you can incur a partial loss if you decide to withdraw your bet before it settles.
- Withdraw your winnings: If you have won bets and wish to withdraw your winnings, navigate to the withdrawal section of the sportsbook. Choose your preferred withdrawal method and follow the instructions provided.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use offshore sportsbooks to bet online in North Carolina?
Using offshore sportsbooks to bet online in North Carolina is not recommended. Offshore sportsbooks operate outside the jurisdiction of U.S. laws and regulations, which means they are not subject to the same level of consumer protection. For you to place your Panthers bet in the US, you need to be physically present in a state where online sports betting is legal.
When will online sports betting come to North Carolina?
Online sports betting will officially launch on January 8, 2024, at the earliest. Although online sports betting legislation has been signed into law, the state needs some time to put together guidelines and give out licenses.
Can I access online sportsbooks from North Carolina?
While online sports betting is not currently legal in North Carolina, you can still place your Panthers wager in the state.
Where can I legally bet on the Carolina Panthers?
Sports betting is currently allowed at one of the three authorized tribal casinos. These establishments offer in-person sports betting for professional sports.
What is the minimum betting age in North Carolina?
To wager on the Panthers in North Carolina, you must be at least 21 years old.